When I started this collage, I got rather stuck, so I decided to put it aside for a couple weeks. Sometimes you just need that perfect thing to inspire you. For me, it was some old gardening notes I found while visiting my parents. My Dad’s handwriting was scribbled on the lovely brittle, yellowed paper, detailing how many rows of what vegetable he’d planted back in 1980. These were perfect! So I added the finishing touches to this carrot mixed media and am very happy with the end result 🙂
And now for the recipe! I’m not a huge fan of cooked carrots by themselves, but they are great added to other flavors. This soup recipe is healthy and easy to make! Original recipe is courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens (I’ve tweaked it just a little).
Tuscan Bean Soup
(yields 4 servings)
- 1 c packaged, peeled baby carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 15-oz cans rinsed, drained Cannellini beans
- 1 32-oz box reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 tsp dried Italian seasoning, crushed (recommend Mrs. Dash Italian Seasoning – I usually use 1-2 tablespoons!)
- 1 5-oz package baby spinach
- freshly cracked black pepper (I omit this since Mrs. Dash has pepper in it.)
In 4-quart Dutch oven cook and stir carrots and onion in 1 T olive oil over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add beans, broth and seasoning. Bring to boiling; slightly mash beans. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile in a large skillet heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach; toss with tongs 1-2 minutes, just until wilted. Remove from heat. Ladle soup; top w/ spinach and sprinkle with black pepper.